About Ukranian Village
Ukrainian Village is a Chicago neighborhood located southwest of Wicker Park. Its boundaries are Division St (1200 N) to the north, Chicago Ave (800 N) to the south, Western Ave (2400 W) to the west, and Damen Ave (2000 W) to the east. Settlement of the neighborhood was largely spurred by the 1895 construction of an elevated train line along Paulina Ave (1700 W); it was demolished in 1964. In past decades, it has been a safe middle-class neighborhood, populated by older citizens of Eastern European ethnicity, and bordered (and affected) on many sides by more dangerous areas. It was insulated somewhat from surrounding socioeconomic change by large industrial areas on its south and west borders and by the staying power of the Orthodox churches. However, gentrification of West Town is rapidly changing the demographic.
Notable local landmarks include Roberto Clemente High School, St Mary’s Hospital, and Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Cathedral, the latter having been commissioned by St. John Kochurov and designed by famed architect Louis Sullivan. In 2002, part of Ukrainian Village was designated a Chicago Landmark District.
“West Ukrainian Village” and “Smith Park” are both terms used to describe the small section of Ukrainian Village that lies west of Western Avenue, between Grand Avenue and Chicago Avenue.